February 7, 2013
HOW TO: Resin-Coated Candy Jewelry
The trick is to preserve the candy forever so it won't gather bacteria or break down. Or lure ants!
Sweetheart conversation heart candy
Aleene's Original Tacky Glue
Two-part resin (I use either ICE Resin or Envirotex Lite)
Hard plastic or paper cup
1. Paint the wood in your favorite color. Let dry.
2. Choose the message on your candy and use the Tacky Glue to affix it to the wood. Let dry.
3. Set out a sheet of wax paper on a flat surface.
4. Mix the resin according the package directions. Make sure to stir it thoroughly for a couple minutes, then let it set for a minute so the gas bubbles release.
5. Pick up a bit of the mixed resin with the stick and add a dollap onto the top of the heart. Move the resin around with the chopstick so that the resin covers the entire surface of the wood and the heart.
6. Use a straw to blow out any remaining gas bubbles.
7. Let set for 24 hours on the wax paper. Once its cured, use sandpaper or scissors to trim off any excess from the bottom and sides.
8. Add jewelry findings.